Author Topic: Question? Can you give dogs Banamine?  (Read 18439 times)

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • 2010 GoatTalk Supporter
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
Question? Can you give dogs Banamine?
« on: October 17, 2007, 12:29:35 PM »
I have a older dog and have given him Aleve for his artharitus and was wondering is I could give him a shot of Banimine for his pain instead? I havent given it to him yet but was just wondering if it would help him better. Thanks
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

Sondra

• GT Moderator
  • Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
Re: Question? Can you give dogs Banamine?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 01:37:09 PM »
yes but gosh you wouldn't want this for long term use.
0.25 to 1.2 mg per pound (0.5-2.2 mg/kg (banamine) for dogs
start giving him Liquid Glucosamine&Chondroitn with MSM† from Health food store† NOW is the brand I have
I also would make a mix of DMSO/MSM/and Dex as a rub on
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 01:39:43 PM by Sondra »
A2Z Dairy Goats
Mini Mancha/Nubian/LaMancha
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX
http://www.freewebs.com/mldga

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 01:39:58 PM »
I know Sondra he was in some pain in his back leg and its a old injury from a few years ago, its in the joint and the vet siad he would probably get artheritus in it . Not sure if it is yet but he still limps when the weather get wet or cold. I will probably give him the Aleve it last 12 hrs. Thanks
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

helmstead

• Goat Wrangler
  • Intermediate Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:44:28 PM »
You might want to check if it should be IM, SQ or IV in dogs, too...I know in some species it causes issues IM & SQ.

I'm also wondering about bute paste??  I give small doses of baby asprin to my dogs when they have a non-bruising injury...
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • GoatTalk Supporter 2008
  • Intermediate Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 02:36:24 AM »
Kathy My vet suggested last year for Bear that I give him Extra Strength Tylenol twice a day. Bear was in bad shape and it made a world of difference. It may work for your Baby!!
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 01:36:23 PM »
Thanks I have been giving him Aleve when he acts like it really hurts...its been raining here the past few days and that is mainly when he acts sore or hurting too...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

helmstead

• Goat Wrangler
  • Intermediate Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 02:52:12 AM »
Yorkie - what was the dose per pound on that?  As oft as ours get kicked by horses and such, that sounds better than baby asprin...
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • GoatTalk Supporter 2008
  • Intermediate Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 03:47:45 AM »
The extra strengh tylenol Bear was around 50 to 55 pounds and I was told to give him a half a pill twice a day I just snapped them in half it was easy. The extra strength tylenol also comes in those melt away tablet they could be broke down for a smaller dog. They really did help him.  :icon_biggrin:
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

helmstead

• Goat Wrangler
  • Intermediate Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 07:18:54 PM »
Kewl...my little ones would prolly take a 1/4 pill then.  Thanks!
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

PygmySong

• Goat Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 03:20:05 AM »
Who's told you people to use Tylenol for your dogs? If it's not been an actual Veterinarian, you could be hurting your dog...or potentially hurting him, as Acetaminophen (the main ingredient in Tylenol) is not as easily absorbed in dogs as Aspirin is.

You "can" give Tylenol, but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE,  See your vet  before considering it, because this is NOT the best OTC pain reliever for dogs, and a good vet will most likely recommend something else!!! Occasionally they will recommend a very small dose of Tylenol for dogs; but IMO the risks of administering acetominophen outweigh the benefits!

Any over-the-counter pain reliever OTHER than aspirin has the potential of killing your dog or making him really sick. You can safely give aspirin to a dog without too much concern of overdose, or harm; one baby aspirin (81 mg) for every 10 pounds - 4 baby aspirin equals one adult aspirin (325 mg). 
Amanda Jean a.k.a "Dr. Sass"
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival."
- C. S. Lewis
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones (Psalm 16:24)"
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in veiw of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this your spiritual act of worship (Romans 12:1)"

hjackson

• Jackson Boer Goats
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 03:47:05 PM »
I was just going to say the samething!!
NO TYLENOL and NO ALEVE!
Buffered asprin! there are other things you can get at the vet that will work great
over the counter - glyco flex and msn or good
I can't remember what I had my old mix on  I got it from the vet it was a liquid - it really work good

hjackson

• Jackson Boer Goats
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 08:25:22 PM »
metacam is what I was thinking
here is some info on advil and aleve

Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin, Medipren):

Ibuprofen is an arylpropionic acid derivative that has been used in dogs as an anti-inflammatory agent. It is not approved for use in dogs or cats. Dogs are much more likely to develop gastro-intestinal side effects from ibuprofen administration than are humans. For this reason, I never give this medication to pets and donít advise you doing so. At therapeutic doses, adverse effects observed in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, gastro-intestinal bleeding, and kidney infection.

Naproxen (Naprosyn. Aleve, Roche Co):

This NSAID is not approved for use in pets and I have never given it. One dose is said to lasts 45-92 hours in dogs. Dogs are extremely sensitive to its toxic effects. So, wjem it is used, it should only be given every second or third day. I am not familiar enough with this drug to suggest a safe dose. Because of the bad side effects that often occur, I do not recommend using naproxen in pets.

Flunixin meglumine (Banamine, Shering-Plough):

Flunixin meglumine is a potent injectable NSAID, which is particularly good for intestinal pain. In the United States, it is approved only for use in horses. Veterinarians have use it frequently in treating the pain associated with parvovirus intestinal disease in dogs and for treating post-surgical stomach pain. However, leading textbooks suggest it not be used at all in dogs. When given, it should not be given for more than two days. Recent research has shown that it can retard healing in dogs Ė especially when the intestines have been cut. The pain reducing effect of an injection of flunixin meglumine only lasts for a few hours. Long term administration of flunixin meglumine to dogs results in severe gastro-intestinal ulceration and kidney damage. It should not be given more than once or twice.

Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Nuprin, Medipren):

This is a great anti-inflammatory drug in humans but it consistently causes ulcers in dogs after 2-6 weeks of use. In dogs, it will eventually cause ulcers of the stomach as well as vomiting. At a dose low enough to not have these side effects, the drug probably does not relieve pain. I do not recommend the use of ibuprofen in pets.

Acetaminophen (Tylenol):

Acetaminophen is a para-aminophenol derivative with anti-fever and pain control activity activity, but very little anti-inflammatory effect. Acetaminophen does not produce stomach ulcers or retard blood clotting. Acetaminophen is more effective in inhibiting COX enzymes in the brain rather than in the body. I have never found it to be effective in reducing pain in dogs. In dogs, dose-dependent bad side effects include depression, vomiting, and destruction of blood hemoglobin. It should never be use in cats due to their lack of liver glucuronosyl transferase and the potential for hemolytic anemia and liver destruction. I have read that one extra-strength Tylenol will kill a cat.

*these are from a vet website

Sondra

• GT Moderator
  • Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 11:31:26 PM »
Hey GUYS  Yorkielover's  VET recommended the above amounts.   PLEASE read
and yes Kathie you can give banamine but find out the dosage please  they make it for dogs.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:34:58 PM by Sondra »
A2Z Dairy Goats
Mini Mancha/Nubian/LaMancha
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX
http://www.freewebs.com/mldga

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 11:58:56 PM »
ok   thanks Sondra also my vet said to give the Mastiff Aleve because he is so bog and it hasnt hurt him at all...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

PygmySong

• Goat Enthusiast
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 02:13:06 AM »
I am aware that these medications 'can' be given, as I spend a considerable amount of time in a veterinarian's office, and spend alot of time in my vet manual; however, there are safer medications to give. Veterinarians usually don't jump on the 'chance' of using Ibuprofen, Naproxen, and especially Tylenol, when there are much safer meds to administer to our pets. This is not opinion based either ;)
Amanda Jean a.k.a "Dr. Sass"
"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival."
- C. S. Lewis
"Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones (Psalm 16:24)"
"Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in veiw of God's mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God-this your spiritual act of worship (Romans 12:1)"

GoatTech

• Goat Wrangler
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 08:16:26 PM »
Well, in dogs banamine has a VERY high incidence of causing GI problems, I wouldn't give it. High risk for vomitting, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis and pyloric ulceration.
Any of the propionic acid NASIDS generally are also contradicted in use in dogs.
I'm pretty sure the safest drugs used in dogs for arthritis are COX-2 inhibitors such as rimadyl or even tepoxalin. I'd give the vet a call with this one.
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

hjackson

• Jackson Boer Goats
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 04:08:43 PM »
I worked for a vet for 8 1/2 years and I think we all know that some vets just prescribe stuff - my neighbors vet prescribe tylenol for their dog when he was hit by a car if I wouldn't have jumped in the dog would have died - I worked on him on night and he is alive today. - It was like give 2 tylenols and call me in the morning. I raise mastiffs and they are very sensitive to drugs MOST vets are NOT mastiff experienced. buffered asprin is the best like ascriptin I do not know what area you are in but if you let me know I can find an experience mastiff person in your area to help you.
The vet I have now listens to me on how I want my dogs treated (mastiffs) including what to sedate them with for xrays. It's a great realtionship and he is area that I worked for a vet. And just because is a dog is so big is not a reason to give them risky drugs.

hjackson

• Jackson Boer Goats
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 04:10:18 PM »
if you go to kvvet.com
glycoflex is what I give my older mastiffs that are getting arithic

BTW my email is hjackson@allstate.com
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 04:13:30 PM by hjackson »