Author Topic: Ivomec for ticks???  (Read 4402 times)

Nelliebell

Ivomec for ticks???
« on: May 08, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »
Hey!  The ticks are horrible this year and the Frontline just isn't cutting it...My poor little cairn terrier ( my varmit dog) is just covered with them and no amount of baths or front line will keep them off...it's driving me nuts!  I read that you could use Ivomec for worms and mites but does this also work on ticks?   
Nelliebell the Goat Whisperer

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: Ivomec for ticks???
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 04:33:46 AM »
Wow, I've never heard of anyone using it for ticks. Lavender oil works well I'm told.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Nelliebell

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 05:21:53 PM »
I have lavendar, I'll give it a try!  Poor Smax will smell all girley and probably couldn't get within 100 feet of a possom...he'll probably wonder what I'm gonna do to him next!

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Goat Wrangler
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 11:23:04 PM »
The ticks are really bad here this year too.
I use advantix on my puppy And the stuff from Tractor supply for my  cat, they both Are working great .
www.rockstarhoops.com
Hula hooping goat lover in
Southwestern PA

Nelliebell

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 05:23:48 PM »
I'll check that out...I just thought if Ivomec kept the ticks etc off the goats why not the dog????

helmstead

• Goat Wrangler
  • Intermediate Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 02:15:52 AM »
Ivermec will kill embedded ticks, but will not repel them, and the effect is not long lasting at all.  I've found Frontline less and less effective here, too...so I keep my dogs groomed short and check them daily.

Any of you try Comfortis yet?  LOVE IT.  Too bad it only does fleas.
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com